Friday, December 31, 2010

Book of Runes

About a week ago I bought a bag of runes and the book that comes with them. I remember playing with them as a kid. One of my stepmother's friends had them and would bring them over. She kept the tiles in a red velvet bag, and I loved the way the felt and sounded as I reached my hand in, searching for the one, the absolute right one to answer my question.

Last week I drew a rune asking about my creativity/writing - I got "Ansuz: Signals/Messenger Rune/The God Loki" The keynote here is receiving: messages, signals, gifts. Even a timely warning may be seen as a gift. The message may be that of a new life unfolding. New lives begin with new connections, surprising linkages that direct you onto new pathways. Take care now to be especially aware during meetings, visits, chance encounters, particularly with persons wiser than yourself. When the Messenger Rune brings sacred knowledge; you are truly blessed.

Loki is the ancient trickster from the pantheon of the Norse gods. He is the heyeohkah of the Native americans, a mocking shadow of the creator god, as well as the bringer of benefts to humankind. He is a reminder that even scoundrels and arch-theives can be the bearers of wisdom. When you draw this Rune, expect the unexpected: The message is always a call, a call to new life.

Ansuz is the first of the thirteen Runes that make up the Cycle of Initiation - Runes that focus directly upon the mechanism of self-change - and as such, addresses our need to integrate unconscious motive with conscious intent.

Drawing Ansuz tells you that connection with the Divine is at hand. It is a signal to explore the depths, the foundations of life, and to experinece the inexhaustible wellspring of the Divine in your nature.

At the same time, you are reminded that you must first draw from the well to nourish and give to yourself. Then there will be more than enough to nourish others. A new sense of family solidarity invests this rune.

Then, today, I decided to draw another rune, it being new year's eve...and ask what the new year holds in store for me regarding my creativity/writing. And this is what I plucked from the bag, I felt like the rune found me though, it felt so surely the right one as I held it in my hand. "Dagaz: Breakthrough/Transformation/Day"

Here is the final Rune belonging to the Cycle of Initiation. Drawing Dagaz often signals a major shift or breakthrough in the process of self-change, a complete transformation in attitude, a 180-degree turn. For some, the transition is so radical that they are no longer able to live the ordinary ife in the ordinary way.

Because the timing is right, teh outcome is assured although not, from the present vantage point, predictable. In each life there comes at least one moment which, if recognized and seized, transforms the course of that life forever. Rely, therefore, on radical trust, even though the moment may call for you to leap empty-handed into the void. With this Rune your Warrior Nature reveals itself.

A major period of achievement and prosperity is often introduced by this Rune. The darkness is behind you, daylight has come. Nevertheless, you are reminded not to collapse yourself into thoughts for the future or behave recklessly in your new situation. Considerable hard work can be involved in a time of transformation. Undertake to do it joyfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment